- Former United States Secretary of Commerce
- Pro to the question "Is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Good for America?"
“President Obama began his campaign to reform the American health-care system focused on three goals: protecting Americans’ choice of doctors and health plans, assuring quality and affordable health care for all Americans, and reducing costs for families and businesses.
The new comprehensive health-care legislation meets these goals, and will significantly benefit American businesses by slowing and eventually reversing the tide of crippling premium increases washing over our nation’s employers.
These cost savings are real. They will grow over time. And they will make U.S. businesses more competitive.”
“Don’t Believe the Writedown Hype. Taken as a Whole, Health Reform Is Undeniably Pro Business and Pro Jobs,” Wall Street Journal, Aprl. 1, 2010
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- United States Ambassador to China, 2011-2014
- 36th United States Secretary of Commerce, Mar. 26 2009-2011
- Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, 2005-2009
- 21st Governor of Washington, Jan. 15, 1997-Jan. 12, 2005
- 5th County Executive, King County Washington, Jan. 4, 1994-Jan. 15, 1997
- Representative, Washington State House of Representatives, 37th District, Jan. 10, 1983-Jan. 3, 1994
- Chairman, Washington State House of Representatives Appropriations Committee, 1989-1994
- Committee member, Washington State House of Representatives Judiciary Committee, 1983-1994
- Committee member, Washington State House of Representatives Appropriations Committee, 1983-1989
- Deputy Criminal Prosecutor, King County Washington, 1976-1980
- JD, Boston University School of Law, 1975
- BS, Political Science, Yale University, 1972
- Is the only Chinese-American to serve as a Governor of a state in United States history
- Gave the Democratic Party’s response to George W. Bush’s 2003 State of the Union address
- Married Mona Lee, a former television reporter at NBC affiliate KING 5 television in Seattle, on Oct. 15, 1994, and has three children
- Quoted in: