- US Senator (D-CA)
- Pro to the question "Is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Good for America?"
“Thanks to the ACA and Medicaid expansion, 20 million more Americans have health insurance. 20 million. That’s the population of the entire state of New York.
Thanks to the ACA, premiums are going up at the slowest rate in half a century…
Thanks to the ACA, insurers cannot set lifetime limits on your care—meaning your insurance company won’t tell you in the middle of a cancer treatment that they’ve paid all that they ever will.
Thanks to the ACA, millions of under-served Americans—in rural towns, and in cities, and everywhere in between—have access to care for the first time…
And thanks to the ACA, you can’t be discriminated against if you have a preexisting condition—including that preexisting condition called being a woman.
And of course, navigating the healthcare system is still daunting. But things are better. There are now some rules of the road to keep insurance companies from taking advantage of you during some of life’s most vulnerable moments.”
Speech to the US Senate, transcript available at harris.senate.gov, Mar. 23, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, DOs, PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to health care and related issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to health care and related issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- US Senator (D-CA), Jan. 2017-present
- 32nd Attorney General of the State of California, Jan. 2011-Jan. 2017
- District Attorney, San Francisco, 2003-2011
- Former Rodel Fellow, Aspen Institute
- Former Board Member, California District Attorneys Association
- Former Vice President, National District Attorneys Association
- Managing Attorney, Career Criminal Unit of the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office, 1998-2003
- Prosecutor, Alameda County District Attorney’s Office, 1990-1998
- JD, Hastings College of Law, University of California, 1989
- BA, Howard University, 1986
- Twitter handle: @KamalaHarris
- She is the first woman, the first African American, and the first South Asian American to hold the office of Attorney General in the history of California
- Named as one of “America’s 20 Most Powerful Women” by Newsweek magazine
- Named as one of the “100 Most Influential African Americans” by Ebony magazine
- Quoted in: