- Health Care Fellow at the Century Foundation
- Pro to the question "Is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Good for America?"
“At last, Congress is about to take the first step toward transforming what we euphemistically call our health care ‘system.’ In the years ahead, the laissez-faire chaos that puts profits ahead of people will be regulated, with an eye to providing affordable, evidence-based, patient-centered care for all.
Today’s vote will represent the beginning of a process – and there will be no turning back. Conservatives will rail on about repeal. They’ll scream ‘unconstitutional’ until they are hoarse. But this is major legislation, like Social Security or Medicare, and it will not be overturned. It’s worth nothing that when Social Security was making its way through Congress, some insisted that it was unconstitutional to think about letting government go into the insurance business. Then, as now, the naysayers had no legal ground for their claims.”
“Day of Decision: The Final Countdown,” www.politico.com, Mar. 21, 2010
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Health Care Fellow, Century Foundation
- Writer/Blogger, Health Beat Blog
- Former Senior Editor and Senior Writer, Barron’s
- Former Columnist, Bloomberg
- Former Contributor, Money, Institutional Investor, and the New York Times
- Former English Professor, Yale University
- PhD, English, Yale University, 1975
- BA, English, Yale University, 1971
- None found
- Quoted in: