- Adjunct Professor of Public Administration at the Wagner Graduate School of Public Service at New York University
- Pro to the question "Is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Good for America?"
“Six months ago today, Congress passed and President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act, the most ambitious and far-reaching reform of the health-care system in 45 years. In the months since that historic accomplishment, the public has been subjected to a relentless barrage of know-nothing, self-interested negativism from politicians and interest groups funded by the insurance industry, and the polls show voters are taking it seriously.
In the run-up to the reform vote, House Minority Leader John Boehner repeatedly crowed that the U.S. health-care system is ‘the best in the world.’ That is simply false. On every measure used to assess the effectiveness of health-care systems, the United States is outranked by more than 30 other nations. The first step to improvement is to recognize the problems.
I am a physician, and I spent 16 years of my career in and around the health-insurance industry, and I think the health-reform law is a huge step in the right direction…
The current clamor for repeal is a fool’s mission. Let’s hope such talk dies a natural death as the benefits of the law become more concrete, begining today.”
“Health-Care Reform Is Making a Difference,” Philadelphia Inquirer, Sep. 23, 2010
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Member, Board of Directors, MedReview, 2005-present
- Adjunct Professor of Public Administration, Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, New York University (NYU)
- Former Fellow, New York Academy of Sciences
- Former Consultant: Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Buck Consultants, The United Hospital Fund of New York, the Commonwealth Fund, and the Harvard University School of Public Health
- Former Board Member: New York Academy of Medicine, Greater New York Hospital Association, New York Business Group on Health, New York State Society of Internal Medicine, and the American Medical Review Research Center
- Recipient, Academy Plaque for Exeptional Service, New York Academy of Medicine
- Former Chief Medical Officer, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
- Former Managing Director, Alexander & Alexander Consulting Group
- Former Corporate Vice President, Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Chief Medical Officer, New York State Department of Health, Office of Health Systems Management
- Member, Board of Directors, MedReview, 1981-1988
- MD, School of Medicine, University of Southern California (USC)
- None found