- US Representative (R-WI)
- Con to the question "Is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Good for America?"
“The entire architecture of this health care overhaul is designed to give the federal government control over what kind of insurance is available for patients, how much health care is enough, and which treatments are worth paying for. No longer will patients and doctors be in control of individual health care decisions, instead government boards and bureaucrats will be the primary deciders…
When you strip away the gimmicks and the faulty assumptions, it is clear this bill does not reduce the deficit and it does not contain costs. Instead, it creates a brand new open-ended entitlement at a time when we have no idea how to pay for our current unsustainable entitlement programs. This overhaul imposes job-killing tax hikes on all Americans at a time when we desperately need to get sustained job creation and economic growth going again. Most importantly, this legislation fails to improve the quality and affordability of health care in America.”
“The Final Chapters in the Helath Care Debate,” Journal Times, Mar. 20, 2010
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, DOs, PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to health care and related issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to health care and related issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- US Representative (R-WI), 1998-present
- Ranking Member, House Budget Committee
- Senior member, House Ways and Means Committee
- Former speechwriter for Jack Kemp and William Bennett, Empower America
- Former Legislative Aide, US Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS)
- BA, Economics and Political Science, Miami University (OH)
- None found
- Quoted in: