- US Senator (R-TX)
- Con to the question "Is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Good for America?"
“Today, there can be no dispute that Obamacare is a disaster.
The reason Obamacare is failing is not its bungled website. It is because Americans are now seeing the fundamental trade-off behind the law — that in order to insure a relatively small number of the uninsured, many millions more Americans are likely to lose their private insurance, lose access to preferred doctors, or pay substantially more for their insurance.
President Obama promised that if this law was passed, you could keep your plan, you could keep your doctors, and your premiums would go down. Each of those promises has proved false.
Already, more than 4 million people have lost their insurance plans because of Obamacare. And millions more Americans’ health insurance is at risk. Some experts predict anywhere from 80 million to 129 million private health plans will be canceled or forcibly changed over the next year…
The president promised that the average family’s premiums would fall by $2,500; instead, they have risen by over $3,000 since 2008…
Moreover, Obamacare is a major jobs killer, especially for those struggling to climb the economic ladder. Workers are seeing their hours cut, and small businesses are unable to hire new employees.”
“Obamacare Is a Disaster: Ted Cruz,” USA Today, Dec. 11, 2013
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- US Senator (R-TX), Jan. 3, 2013-present
- Presidential candidate, 2016
- Lawyer, Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius, LLP, 2008-2013
- Solicitor General, Texas, Jan. 9, 2003-May 12, 2008
- Director of Policy Planning, US Federal Trade Commission, July 2001-Jan. 2003
- Associate Deputy Attorney General, US Justice Department, Jan. 2001-June 2001
- Domestic Policy Advisor, George W. Bush presidential campaign, 1999-2001
- Partner, Cooper, Carvin, & Rosenthal (now Cooper & Kirk, LLC), 1997-1998
- Law Clerk, William Rehnquist, US Supreme Court, 1996
- Law Clerk, J. Michael Luttig, US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1995
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1995
- AB, cum laude, Public Policy, Princeton University, 1992
- Twitter: @TedCruz
- Was born in Calgary, Canada, on Dec. 22, 1970
- Full name is Rafael Edward Cruz
- Quoted in: