- Former James Madison Professor of Political Economy at Princeton University
- Pro to the question "Is the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Good for America?"
“In the bill now working its way through Congress, an estimated 30 million or so lower-income, otherwise uninsured Americans are expected to gain adequate coverage with the aid of between $800 billion and $1 trillion in federal subsidies over the next decade.
That may appear a staggering sum, until one realizes that it is only about 3% or so of the $35 trillion or so now projected by actuaries to be spent on U.S. health care in the coming decade, even in the absence of reform.
The bill in its current state lays important foundations for obtaining better value for our health-care dollar—more research into cost-effective care, a move away from piece-rate (fee-for-service) payment of doctors and hospitals and toward bundled payments for entire medical treatments, and perhaps an independent Medicare Commission with power to control Medicare spending.
“A Good Start,” Wall Street Journal, Jan. 20, 2010
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, DOs, PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to health care and related issues. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to health care and related issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Former James Madison Professor of Political Economy and Professor of Economics and Public Affairs, Princeton University
- Former Commissioner, Kaiser Family Foundation Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured
- Former Trustee, Duke University Health System
- Former Director, Boston Scientific
- Former Director, Amerigroup Corporation
- Former Trustee, Duke University
- Former Member, Board of Directors, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Former Senior Associate, Institute for Management, Cambridge University,
- Former Trustee, H & Q Healthcare Investors
- Former Member, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences
- President, International Health Economics Association, 2007-2009
- Chair, Health Reform Commission of New Jersey, 2006
- Commissioner, Physician Payment Review Committee, 1986-1995
- Member, National Leadership Commission on Health Care, 1987-1990
- PhD, Economics, Yale University, 1970
- MPh, Yale University
- MA, Economics, Yale University
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Sasketchewan, 1964
- He died on Nov. 13, 2017
- Dr. Reinhardt is a native of Germany
- Awarded the William B. Graham Prize for Health Services Research, June 5, 2010
- Awarded the Bundesverdienstkreuz (German Federal Merit Medal) by German President Horst Kohler in Oct. 2009
- Is or has been an Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Health Economics, Milbank Memorial Quarterly, New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of the American Medical Association, Health Affairs, and several other journals
- Advisory Board Member, HXTechnologies Inc, 2007-present
- Board of Directors, Triad Hospitals, 2003-2007
- Quoted in: